Thursday, March 4, 2010

Sweet Rack!


I have the cutest bagger boys at my local grocery store.  There are three in particular who I totally have  crushes on...Vincent, Sam and Mitchell.  I'm pretty sure that they love me too.  I mean, only someone who really adores me would ask about my day while bagging my groceries, right?  Then, to top it off, they walk me to my car, load it up, take the cart away and wish me a great day...all while smiling, serving and making me feel like I am the center of their universe.  Yes, they are perfect men and they all love to spoil me!  I asked Jimmy once if he got that kind of special treatment and he said, No.  I think he was jealous! 

So last Thursday I happened to have Vincent as my checkout love slave for the day.  As usual, he smiled that dreamy smile while bagging up my goods.  He didn't judge all of my Diet Cokes or junk food, but just asked about my kids and my life...since, afterall, it WAS all about me!  Then, as usual, he offered to "help" me to my car which I gladly accepted. 

As we walked into the parking lot, I directed him to my white Suburban with the Yakima rack on top.  "Oh, what's the rack for?  Are you an active family?"  Vincent asked with total and complete interest!  I burst out laughing!  Did he NOT just see all of the junk food that I bought?  (I guess love really can be blind!)  Anyway, I explained that NO, my family was not overly active and that I have the rack on my car for carpooling purposes!  When he seemed confused by that answer, I pointed out that every large family in the area has a white Suburban so I leave the rack on mine so that my kids can see me coming in the carpool line and so that I can quickly find my car in parking lots!  (I may not be active but you gotta admit I'm brilliant!) 

Vincent agreed and was highly impressed with my wisdom!  He didn't come out and directly say it, but I could tell.   "Yeah Vincent!"  I proudly said, "Now when you see my car go by you'll be able to say...Hey look!  There's Karen and her SWEET RACK!"  We froze.  Our eyes met just as we both realized the double meaning in what I had just said!  I could tell he was straining not to glance at my chest.  NO! I begged in my head!  Don't do it!  THAT'S NOT THE RACK I WAS TALKING ABOUT!  Then, he burst out laughing and we laughed good and hard!  I could feel my face burning! 

However, being the perfect bagger boy that he is, Vincent maintained total professionalism and finsihed the task at hand while kindly letting me stammer and make a complete IDIOT of myself!  "Oh, I can't believe I just said that!  Uhhh, You know what I meant right?  I, I uhm wasn't talking about MY rack I was talking about THAT rack...right!  Right?  You get it right?  Ha!  Ha! ...sigh!"   Vincent kept laughing!  I had upper lip sweat! 

Finally, as he closed my trunk, I asked..."so are you gonna go and tell the others about what just happened, or can this just stay between us?"  "Oh no!"  He gently reassured me.  "I'm definitely gonna tell the other's!  That one's too good to keep to myself!"  Valid, I thought.  Valid!  Then he turned, wished me a nice day and walked back to the store.  I drove away with my esteem just as deflated as my RACK...sigh! 

3 comments:

Amy said...

Seriously so funny! I love it!! I love you!!:) PS - you do have a SWEET RACK!

Kristin said...

You are hilarious!

Dawn said...

Oh Kari it reminds me of the night in the MTC when my "rack" wasn't quite right and you got the outta control giggles. Oh stories of the desired racks.