Tuesday, March 2, 2010

O'Neill's revenge

Back in November, I got this insane notion to do family pictures in an orchard.  At the time, the leaves were changing and all of the orchards that surround my little world were on fire with color!  I knew the pictures would be so pretty!  The only problem was that I absolutely detest getting my family ready for pictures.  It is a rare and unusual form of torture that we mother's have to endure.  Coordinating outfits, fixing hair, finding shoes, accessorizing, making sure every one's ready...making sure every one's happy...making sure every one's there!  AUGH!  It's too hard. 

So, knowing the torment of it all, I decided to do this photo shoot quickly, simply and without much thought.  I asked my friend, Angie, to take the pictures on Friday and we were there the next day.  I literally grabbed clothes for the kids and hoped that they would match.  I kind of fixed their hair but was really just hoping for a natural, everyday look.  Same for me and Jim.  As we left the house that Saturday afternoon, all seemed well.  Everyone was happy, clean and calm.  It was very unusual but somewhat delightful.

We decided to take pictures in a walnut orchard.  The trees were larger than orange trees and had a much prettier canopy.  And, I loved the tunnel effect at this particular orchard.  It was really cool!  So, as we all got situated for our first round of pictures, I did a quick scan of everyone and GASP!  An unforeseen glitch!  There sat O'Neill with a blue lollipop in his mouth!  What?!? 

"O'Neill!"  I shouted (well, I didn't really shout.  It was just a half shout because Angie was there and well, you know...)  "What?"  he mumbled, shocked at the attention.  "Where on earth did you get that lollipop?"  "From the car" he explained with a 'duh mom' look on his face.  "Make that disappear RIGHT NOW!  I'm so sure!" I demanded, flustered!  Hesitantly he handed the lollipop to Angie's son who was there helping out.  I gave him a final little glare to seal the deal and off we went with the first round of photos.  Catastrophe avoided.  All seemed well.

We took several series of pictures in different poses and locations throughout the orchard.  Angie was a total sport to hang with the Hunter Circus...literally!  I was actually enjoying myself EXCEPT that each time I looked at O'Neill he would somehow have that stupid blue lollipop back in his mouth!  It started to make me crazy because his teeth were getting more and more BLUE with each suck!  Finally, after warning him over and over again to get rid of the thing, I lost all self control, yanked it from his mouth and tossed it in the leaves!  (Yet another reason why I am never going to be 'Mother of the Year'!) 

My action stunned us both!  Unsure of how O'Neill would react, I glanced back and forth from him to the lollipop, waiting.  He didn't move.  Just stared at the white stick poking out from under the leaves.  Finally, with no emotion he s-l-o-w-l-y turned his head towards me and with eyes ablaze with revenge he whispered..."You'll be sorry that you just did that!"   Shocked at the dramatic impact of the threat, I said nothing but in my mind I was thinking, "Whatever buddy!  Victory is mine!"  I mean really, what could he possibly do?

Well, we finished out the photo shoot and headed home.  Angie downloaded the pictures straight onto my computer and when I sat down to scroll through the 400+ pictures that night, I came across the series  that were taken right after the "incident"!  I nearly died with laughter!  Without any tantrum or public outcry, my normally mellow O'Neill stood true to his words and got his own, sweet revenge for his stolen lollipop!  Well played O'Neill.  Well played! 

(Double click on picture to zoom.  #3's the best!)

"Oh sweet lollipop in the leaves...this woman MUST pay and pay...


"NOW!"

"Ha!  Send THAT out with your Christmas card!"

"TAKE THAT!"

"Oh owie!  Owie!  Cheeks are cramping!  Wait...stretch it out..."


"...And I'm BACK!"


"Yeah Mom...Who's the 'SUCKER' now?"

"I can do this forever!  She's gonna see these and regret that she ever..."

"Oh hey!  Is that a squirrel?"
  



 

1 comment:

Amy said...

I am loving how he gets more and more gutsy with each shot - by the 3rd or 4th shot he had it all down!! What a serious crack up! Thanks for giving me a good laugh this morn! Love ya!