Saturday, March 27, 2010

You're invited!



A few weeks ago, my sister Laura invited me to teach a workshop at her yummy, yummy store called Dear Lizzie.  She hosts these wonderful workshops that feature different artisans, stylists, dance instructors, graphic designers, and such, to teach a skill.  I know!  I know!  You're probably wondering why an accomplished Humorist like myself has been asked to teach along with the creative elite!  Well, you may not know this about me but I am one mean CRAFTER.  Yeah!  It's true.  I have creative juices pulsing through my veins and can glitter and glue right there with the best of 'em!  Are you shocked?  Well, you're not the first!  I am going to be doing paper Mother's Day CROWNS on April 15th.  It's going to be FUN!  You should come!

So, during our original conversation, Laura asked me to write a quick little bio about my wonderfulness that she could post on her stores blog to promote the event!  Simple!  I can do that, I thought.  So I logged onto her site and began to read some of the other bio's for some ideas.  Oh wow!  These were real professionals, with real careers and real bios who had been featured in major magazines, had regular gigs on tv shows and  had published books!  Uh-oh! 

Panic set in!  Write a bio?  What was she thinking?  You don't ask someone with notoriously low self-esteem to write something like that!  I've got nothing!  For days and days I dipped deep into my mind's well trying to think of impressive tidbits from my own life's resume only to discover that my well was dry! In desperation I thought about writing that I have read magazines, read books and watched tv shows but decided that would be too lame!  Then I considered cutting lines from the different bios and pasteing them together to make one for myself.  My better judgement nixed that one too! Oh sweet suffering! 

Finally, yesterday, Laura called wondering where my bio was!  I told her that it skipped town with my self-esteem!  Unamused, she reprimanded me with a deadline of today!  So, knowing that it was inevitable, I sat down and forced myself to write my own bio...or obituary!  This was my final draft...

Karen is a loving daughter, patient wife, surviving mother, loyal sister, attentive friend, hesitant dog-owner, frustrated dieter, and …oh yeah…extraordinary crafter! She comes to us from a small town surrounded by beautiful orchards, lush rolling hills and annoying stray dogs that always seem to end up in her backyard! With no stoplights in town, Karen can carpool in less than five minutes! A true Motherly feat!



Karen is a lover of all things handmade and truly believes that any global crisis can be fixed with a little Modge Podge and glitter! Considered a child prodigy of sorts, she began crafting as soon as she could squeeze a glue-gun trigger and hasn’t stopped since! Karen is to paper as Mozart was to music and Van Gogh was to painting! (Only she has never cut off any body part except for a few unfortunate moles in unfortunate places!) She proclaims that her creative hands are her biggest blessing and curse and you can often hear her yelling from her craft room, “Not now kids! Can’t you see…Mom’s CROWNING!”


To prepare to spend an evening with Karen, a self-proclaimed Humorist, you may want to get to know her a little better by visiting her blog www.anotherdelicioustorment.blogspot.com.

So there you have it...my best effort at an impressive bio!  Doesn't it make you want to come to my class?  Hurry, quick!  Go to http://www.mydearlizzie.com/ and sign-up.  Space is limited and I'm pretty sure once this baby hits the cyber world, I'm going to be in high demand.  See you there!



   

5 comments:

Amy said...

Seriously LOVE IT!! Can't wait to be crowning right along with you!:)

kristin said...

Oh, Kari!!! I love, love, LOVE you! I had to stop laughing in order to write a comment just to tell you so. I only wish I could be there for your crowning moment!

Kristin said...

Your talents are truly endless, friend!!!

Miss Gabe said...

uhhhhh I think you are ONE PHENOM GAL miss Karen Hunter!!! I think of all the bios I have read in my little life, your's is one that I would most want to emulate. Loves to you and I'll be first in line come April 15th :)

Miss Gabe said...

on second thought... I'll probably have to pitch a tent to be first in line so maybe an occassional drive by to check on me through out the eve would be appreciated.