One day I came home
from playing at Stacy Michael's,
only to find the house empty.
Mom had gone to run an errand
and my older brother, Mike, was in the backyard.
We were alone.
(gulp)
When I went out to let him know that I was home,
I noticed that the pool cover was open
and
that he was sitting Indian-style next to the deep end
with his suitcase of Lego's open next to him!
Red Flag!
This was an unusual thing!
First, because Mike was in Middle school
and didn't play with Lego's anymore
and second, because
it was a strict, strict rule in our home that we
DO NOT OPEN THE POOL COVER
without Mom or Dad's permission.
NEVER, EVER, NEVER!!!
(FYI, 4 out of 5 of us never broke that rule!)
So, to see Mike playing Lego's
by an open pool,
alone
was alarming, to say the least!
I approached carefully and asked,
"What are you doing?"
Mike looked up and grunted.
(He wasn't one for words!)
"Why is the pool cover open?"
Again, "Grunt!"
(Which I knew meant,
"LEAVE ME ALONE! I THINK YOU ARE
ANNOYING AND UGLY!")
"Why do you have Lego's?"
This time I didn't even get a grunt!
(I had obviously overstayed my welcome!)
I was super curious
as Mike grabbed a Lego from the stash
and began to fidget with something in his hands.
I couldn't tell what he was doing!
Then, he tossed the object into the deep end!
"What was that?"
I asked with complete, little-annoying-sister curiosity!
He glanced at me with a look of
blissful mischief
blissful mischief
then grabbed another Lego and started the process again!
When he tossed the second object into the pool,
I couldn't help myself
and knelt by the side
to see what he was throwing in!
The water's freshly broken surface
was blurry and unclear.
I could make out several little
dots of color on the bottom of the pool...
dots of color on the bottom of the pool...
Lego's, I presumed,
but there was something dark
attached to each colorful dot
that I could not recognize.
I waited patiently as the water began to settle.
Then, suddenly, I realized that the little dark 'things'
were in fact
FROGS!
We had a mini-infestation of
little, cute, adorable, green, hoppy froggies that summer.
They were all over our backyard!
I loved them.
I thought they were the neatest visitors we had ever had!
So you can only imagine my shock and horror
when I realized that my very own brother
was trying to drown them
using Lego pieces as
Anchors of Death!
"AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH"
I screamed.
"YOU'RE KILLING THE FROGGIES!"
I was distressed.
Mike was not.
He continued to
tie and toss...
tie and toss...
tie and toss!
"STOP! STOP!"
I pleaded
as I watched the little frogs
trying to swim to the surface in vain!
trying to swim to the surface in vain!
Mike ignored my pleas
with pure and utter delight!
with pure and utter delight!
I went into rescue mode
and for a
very, very, very
brief moment
I thought about snatching the Lego case away from Mike.
Luckily, however,
my better judgement got the best of me
and I quickly opted against that knowing that if I tried,
Mike would use that Lego case
to anchor ME to the bottom of the pool!
Plan Two...
a life saving device!
Frantically, I ran around the pool deck
searching for the skimmer.
Where was it?
I went to it's normal resting spot but
it wasn't there!
Then I realized that it was sitting on the ground
right next to Mike.
Mike knew what I was after
and gave me a
"Go Ahead, I dare you!" look.
I didn't dare.
With my little ten year-old heart pounding in my throat
and knowing that time was of the essence,
I made a split second decision
and dove, head first, into the deep end
clothes and all!
This posed a problem, however,
because the second
strict, strict rule in our home was that we
DO NOT SWIM
without Mom or Dad's permission.
NEVER, EVER, NEVER!!!
But I didn't care!
I had to save the frogs,
regardless of the consequence.
I was pretty sure
Mom would understand!
Mom would understand!
Heroically,
I swam down and grabbed as many froggies
as I could until my lungs began to burn
and my head felt like it was going to explode.
Then I pushed off the bottom and
dramatically burst out of the water gasping for air!
Holding the froggies close to my chest,
I flipped on my back and kicked my way to the steps in the shallow end.
With an armload of frogs,
I sat in the water
and tried to think
of a safe place to hide them...
far away from Mike and his dreaded Legos!
Mike looked unamused
as he continued to
tie and toss...
tie and toss...
tie and toss!
"Where should I hide these frogs?"
I asked myself.
Then, as if the heavens opened, the answer came...
hide them in
Mom's beautiful, wooden puzzle box
hand made from Indonesia
that's sitting in the front hall
on the new wooden floor!
Of course!
Mike would never find them there.
It was the perfect solution!
However,
this posed another problem
this posed another problem
because the third
strict, strict rule in our home was that we
DO NOT COME IN THE HOUSE WET
even with Mom or Dad's permission.
NEVER, EVER, NEVER!!!
Again, I knew Mom would understand,
this once,
and forged ahead
for the sake of the frogs!
I jumped out of the water
and sopping wet,
sloshed my way through
the family room, kitchen and entry hall
until I came to the puzzle box.
I knelt down,
on the wooden floor,
and crammed handfuls
of frogs and Legos
into each small wooden compartment.
I then carefully closed the lids and went back for more.
By the time Mike had finally lost interest
and moved on to his next destructive activity,
the little wooden box was
bulging with frogs!
Knowing that I had done right by the world,
I changed my clothes
and cleaned up the puddles of water throughout the house.
When Mom got home,
she didn't notice a thing...
(that happens when you have 5 kids
and you're really tired!)
and I didn't think to tell her.
In fact, I forgot all about it
UNTIL
several months later
when Mom asked me to dust the puzzle box!
Then, it all came back...
the frogs
the Legos
the pool
the box!
OH NO!
I wept as I opened the tiny wooden compartments
and saw the carnage!
After all my efforts to save my friends,
I ended up killing them myself.
Oh, the painful irony!
But, not to worry!
I have since forgiven myself
and believe that
frogs, children and summer
go hand in hand...
or hand in slimy flipper,
you choose!
Amphibian bliss!

4 comments:
That is SUCH a great story. So funny. And the cutest pictures of Chloe and Sethie. I love the looks on his face. He is so cool.
Oh man!!!! The terror of messing with Mike combines with the heroic effort of it all!!! Man, and I remember that frog-fest summer - that was just crazy! Just an image of the huge expanse of lawn with all those mini frogs leaping around - like thousands! I haven't seen a frog in years!!! Glad your kids have :) xoxo
Oh that is a hilarious story!
But wait!
Oh dear!
Mike STILL communicates in grunts!
Does that mean he is saying to me,
"LEAVE ME ALONE! I THINK YOU ARE
ANNOYING AND UGLY!")
Rhetorical question. Please do not answer.
Oh the childhood memories! I love that I can visualize the WHOLE thing. Those poor froggies who became mummified to the Legos... such a great story of heroism and adventure! (we won't mention the breaking of the parental rules.)
Post a Comment