My tender-hearted Chloe
came wandering into my room Sunday night
at 11:30 PM!
came wandering into my room Sunday night
at 11:30 PM!
"Mom!" she said "I have a weird feeling in my tummy!"
"Oh great!" I groaned!
"Just make sure that when it comes up, you make it to the toilet!"
(once again, Mother of the Year!)
When she assured me that she didn't feel sick like that,
I was relieved!
But then she explained that she felt
NERVOUS
because of her lesson at church that day.
(Never a good sign!)
(Never a good sign!)
Apparently, it was the ever light-hearted
'SIGNS OF THE TIMES' lesson.
Oh great.
Oh great.
That Isaiah, I'm telling ya!
Couldn't he have sugar-coated that a little?
I mean really!
I can only imagine how many nightmares
that topic has caused over the past
four thousandish years?
that topic has caused over the past
four thousandish years?
Sheesh!
Anyhow,
As she expressed her valid fears and worries,
Anyhow,
As she expressed her valid fears and worries,
I could totally sympathize
and told her the story about
me and the end of the world.
and told her the story about
me and the end of the world.
It seems like only yesterday
that the infamous Bruno brothers
announced to the entire third grade
that the world was going to end
that the world was going to end
the next day
at
12:15 pm...
at
12:15 pm...
right at the end of lunch recess!
I cried myself to sleep that night .
I just couldn't believe that it was my last night on earth
in my bed,
with my toys
and near my family!
The next morning
when I left for the bus stop,
I just couldn't believe that it was my last night on earth
in my bed,
with my toys
and near my family!
The next morning
when I left for the bus stop,
I vividly remember
the stomach-wrenching pain that I felt
as I hugged my Mom goodbye
for what I thought would be
the last time
here on earth!
School was a waste.
I was too terrified to concentrate.
I mean really,
when you're facing death
long division seems mundane!
here on earth!
School was a waste.
I was too terrified to concentrate.
I mean really,
when you're facing death
long division seems mundane!
When lunch recess finally rolled around,
a majority of us third graders swarmed together
in the middle of the field weeping
while
those rotten Bruno brothers
stood in the middle of the group
counting down!
10...9...8...
They shouted with New Years Eve excitement.
I clung to Becky Baer.
7...6...5...
Dread and paralyzing fear set in.
I was far too young to face my own mortality!
4...3...2...
OH MY GOSH!
1!
I screamed!
Becky screamed!
Everyone screamed...
Until the lunch bell rang
and it was time to go back to class.
WHAT?!?
I was totally and completely confused.
Where was the
hellfire and brimstone?
And what about the
famine, pestilence and
rumors of war?
Come on...
I figured we at least deserved a good
earthquake
since we were in California!
(is that guy naked? Anywho...)
But no...
NOTHING!
As I followed the herd of kids
back to the classrooms,
I felt a mixture of
blissful relief,
unparalleled exhaustion
and unbridled anger!
Those good for nothin' Bruno boys
had dooped us once again.
Never again, I vowed!
Never again!
Chloe and I laughed at the silliness of it all.
So much for my lunchtime Armageddon!
Oh brother!
and speaking of...
I wonder what ever happened to those
rotten Bruno brothers?
I bet they're in prison...
or better yet,
maybe they're born again preachers...
in prison!
I don't know.
But I bet they're still
ROTTEN!
and it was time to go back to class.
WHAT?!?
I was totally and completely confused.
Where was the
hellfire and brimstone?
And what about the
famine, pestilence and
rumors of war?
Come on...
I figured we at least deserved a good
earthquake
since we were in California!
(is that guy naked? Anywho...)
But no...
NOTHING!
As I followed the herd of kids
back to the classrooms,
I felt a mixture of
blissful relief,
unparalleled exhaustion
and unbridled anger!
Those good for nothin' Bruno boys
had dooped us once again.
Never again, I vowed!
Never again!
Chloe and I laughed at the silliness of it all.
So much for my lunchtime Armageddon!
Oh brother!
and speaking of...
I wonder what ever happened to those
rotten Bruno brothers?
I bet they're in prison...
or better yet,
maybe they're born again preachers...
in prison!
I don't know.
But I bet they're still
ROTTEN!




2 comments:
All I can say is that sweet Chloe is so lucky to have your experience and sage wisdom on her side, friend. :-) I remember being totally scared of that stuff
too.
I have known you and Becky have a special bond but know i know why. What a great story to share with Chloe and the rest of us. Maybe the Brunos will meet the elders from the MTC that will be awesome.
Post a Comment