Sunday, January 17, 2010

Happy Birthday to Me!

The beloved ring!



Look at him smile while I open his present!




Me being SUPER patient as Lulu kept grabbing my present away to open herself...AUGH!

So here's the story...


On the night before my birthday, little 5 year old Sethie came to me holding the 9 one dollar bills he's been saving in his piggy bank.


"Mom," he said very matter-of-fact, "tomorrow is your birthday and I don't want to spend all of my money on your present because I want to buy myself a Techdeck."


Uhm! A true dilemma.


Then he asked, "How many of these would I have to use if I wanted to buy you a ring?"


What? Did he just say that he wanted to buy me a ring? This coming from the kid who for the last two years has drawn my name for the family Christmas gift exchange and has refused to buy me a gift. Apparently the 3 and 4 year old Sethie was very aloof but it seems that the 5 year old Seth is a changed man. I almost died! Just the fact that he thought to buy me a ring made me all Vahklempt!
I gathered myself together and tried not to get too excited. Steady Mom! Steady! Calmly, I told him that he could probably find me a killer ring for 1 or 2 of his dollars.


"Really?" he asked, pleasantly surprised, eyes beaming.


"Yep!" I assured him that he would only have to spend 2 of his dollars. So he set 2 dollar bills aside and stuffed the other...well you know I can't do math...back into his piggy bank for that coveted Techdeck!


The next day Jimmy took Sethie to the store and they picked out this beauty together! I think that I will wear it for the rest of my life...or until my finger turns green!

3 comments:

crystal said...

Hey, he learned to be selfless before most males do, so good for Sethie!

I'm loving your blog! I stalked you from Rosie's blog & have been waiting with bated breath for a second post.

crystal said...

p.s. I love your Ralph Waldo-esque title! Genius.

Kristin said...

I love that Sethie!