Sunday, January 24, 2010

Star Gazing!






On the day before Thanksgiving, our little family went to visit Grandma and Grandpa Hunter at their new (well new to us) "temple house". The children had not been there yet and I really wanted them to see where Grandma and Grandpa were staying and what they were doing while serving as the Oakland Temple President and Matron.



It is a beautiful, little home on the hill across from the temple entrance. From their balcony is the most amazing panoramic view of San Francisco, the bay and the temple. It's gorgeous! Especially at night!



After a full day of the Oakland Zoo and dinner with Grandpa, we decided to give the poor man a much needed break from our craziness. (He was suffering, I could tell!) After all, he's used to being in the temple all day which, as you know, is a house of order, a house of peace, a house of prayer and NOT a house of the irreverent Jimmy 6! So, as to not wear out our welcome just minutes from arriving, we decided to take the Wild Things to walk around the temple grounds. It was a wise decision!



We really lucked out because even though the Christmas season hadn't officially started, we were lucky enough to see all of the Christmas lights on as they were putting the final touches on certain areas. The kids were mesmerized. It was pure magic! We walked all around. We touched the "front door" and explored the gardens on the rooftop. I loved being there with my little ones. It was peaceful and sacred and blissful...just like it should be. After a tour of the visitors center, we decided to go back to Grandma and Grandpa's house. We were sure they missed us by now.



When we arrived, Grandpa had set up his larger then life telescope on the balcony so that the children could star gaze. They were sooo excited. They took turns standing on a chair peering into the heavens. I sat on the couch and watched them love the time with Grandpa!



Finally, I wanted in on the action and asked if I could have a turn. Little Sethie stepped down. "What are you looking at?" I asked. "Oh, just Jesus!" he replied nonchalantly as he walked away. Oh! My heart melted. I thought, how darling. He must think that he really sees Jesus up in the universe. Then I peeked into the telescope and BAM! Yep, sure enough, there was Jesus! Not noticing, they had tilted the telescope to face the temple and were totally zoomed in on the relief of Jesus on the front of the building. He was larger than life...as well as he should be! I couldn't stop laughing!



Thanks Grandma and Grandpa for loving us!


No comments: