Monday, April 5, 2010

Lullabies


The other night I snuggled close to Lulu
and sang her lullabies. 
The room was dark and peaceful. 
As I went through my normal repertoire of songs...
Rain drops on Roses,
I am a child of God,
Song of a Bird,
and
the classic Barry Manilow hit, Can't Smile Without You!
Lulu stroked my hair.

"Mommy!" 
She interrupted with a request,
"Sing me the other song!"

"What song?"
I asked flattered.

"You know, the one that you sing!"

"Which one is that?"
I had no idea what she was talking about.

"The song that you sing to me.  That one!

Confused, I began to sing another song.
She cut me off!

"Not that one Mommy, the other one!"

So, I started to sing another song.
She cut me off again.

"Mommy, that's not the right one either!"

Being all too familiar with this little game, 
I used my reverse psychology skills
and asked her to sing me the song instead.

From my side, in the dark
sweet Lulu began to sing the song in her head.
It went like this...

First she sang a question...
"Mommy!  Where are you?"

Then, lightly cupping her mouth, she sang the response...
"I'm in the bathroom!"

Uncovering her mouth, she sang...
"Which bathroom?  I can't find you!"

Then, cupping her mouth again she sang...
"The bathroom in my bedroom!"

She stopped singing and eagerly asked if I remembered that song?

Oh yes!
I knew exactly the song she was talking about!
I just didn't know that it had a tune!

and

I realized right then and there
that I need a new HIDING PLACE!


2 comments:

Kristin said...

You totally need a new place to hide!!

crystal said...

I have to hide at the movies. Or the temple. The only two places they can't get to me!