Friday, April 23, 2010

Just in case!


I am 2 1/2 years older than my younger sister, Amy
and we are and have always been best friends! 
As kids we did everything together. 
And when I say everything...
I mean EVERYTHING! 

We played together. 
We laughed really hard together. 
We did synchronized swimming (of sorts) together,
We waited up all night for Santa together,
We could carry-on full conversations without speaking to each other 
and  
We constantly danced in the living room together!

In fact, 
Since my proportions were somewhat more masculine than Amy's, 
I logically was always cast as the "leading male"
in our little productions.   
This meant that while Amy floated around the room
 as the pretty ballerina,
I was instructed to move as little as possible
and brace myself for the next lift, hoist or stunt! 
It was more of a supporting role, really! 
and I didn't think anything of it
until I went to my first real dance
and danced with a real boy!

Yeah!  As you can only imagine,
he looked super confused!
And just as I was about to hoist him onto my shoulder
for the classic Temple Pageant Ho-down Finale lift,
he asked if I wouldn't mind letting him lead!
Yikes...that was close!

Anyway, you get the drift!
Amy and I were together all the time. 
In fact, obviously, we always shared a room. 
And although we had our own twin bed
on either side of the bedroom,
our Mom would always laugh
 at how we would end up
in the same bed
every single morning! 

When she would ask us
 why we were crammed together in one small bed,
one of us would always say
that we had gotten scared in the night
 and found the other for comfort.
It's true!

I vividly remember being startled awake in the night.
and sitting alone in the silence of our sleeping house,
thinking...
"Why is it so quiet?"

Then I would imagine
that an axe murderer
had broken in and killed my entire family
but had left me...
the lone survivor!

But just as I was about to perish with fear,
I would remember Amy
and would gently nudge her to see if she was still alive. 
Sure enough, she was alive
EACH and every TIME
and a huge wave of relief would come over me. 

Then, I would wait and listen anxiously
 for the sound of Dad's bear-like snoring
 to rumble down the hall
as my second confirmation that everyone was alive! 
It always came! and I knew all was well...
but NOT well enough to go back to my own bed!
NO WAY!

After months of that,
our Mom decided to push our beds together
 so that we could spread out a little, yet still be close. 
But, sure enough,
we would still climb into one bed or the other 
when fear crept into our little, tired hearts. 

Finally, after all of her efforts
 to get us to sleep in our own beds failed,
our wise Mom bought us a queen size mattress
and we were in heaven!

Sleeping with Amy was always a treat too
because I never knew
quite what I was going to get in the night!
You see,
Amy was, and still is apparently,
a very "active" sleeper!

Some of my fondest conversations with Amy
have happened while she was sleeping!
In fact,
Amy has battled attacking birds,
fought off colonies of ants,
and managed to "walk" with 2 "broken"  legs
all while remaining fast asleep!

She has cuddled me upside down,
petted me like a dog and
pushed really, really hard on my nose
all while in the deepest of deep sleep!

It was always quite entertaining really
and something that I missed dearly
when she got married and left me for another!

Then, just last weekend,
I got to go to Utah for a much needed get-away
with Amy and our other sister, Laura.
I know, I know...total BLISS!
and if that wasn't enough, in and of itself,
Laura surprised us with a Suite
on the 12th floor
of the posh Grand America Hotel!

Giddy with delight,
we all walked around and checked out the fancy digs!  
I noticed that more than once,
Amy went to the sliding glass door
that led to the "pretend" balcony
to see if it would open. 
She would tug and tug and flip the lock up and down
and up and down 
and tug some more
but she could never get the door to open. 

I didn't think much of it
until later that evening
when Laura tried to crack the door for some fresh air!
As she pulled on the door and fiddled with the latch,
Amy quickly tuned in and said...

"That doesn't open!  I've already tried!"

Noticing that her response was oddly loud and quick, 
I said..." Amy, are you OK
cuz your response was oddly loud and quick!" 

Then without hesitation, Amy blurted...
"What kind of people are you?
  Who in their right mind
would bring a sleep walker
to a room on the 12th floor
with a sliding glass door that leads to nowhere?"

Oh...the demons that we bare!

I love that in a world that is constantly changing
there are certain things that you know will always stay the same!

After a good deep belly laugh, 
Laura and I assured Amy that all would be well!
But as we snuggled into bed that night,
I offered to let her tie her leg to mine...
just in case!

8 comments:

Karen said...

does this work?

Anonymous said...

It's sooo fun to recall how much fun you girls were and STILL ARE!!! What a treat it is for me to be your Mom. Love, MOM

Dear Lizzie said...

I am laughing so hard and crying so hard at the same time, my favorite little circus of my whole life - watching you two together! I love you xoxoxo Laura

Amy said...

Oh Kari! I just love you! You are one of the few that I can smoosh their nose in the middle of the night and still love me in the morning! Thanks for making life so dang funny! xoxo!!

Karen said...

Oh no sisters! YOU are the ones who make life funny! I just write about it. Please keep the material coming! xoxo

Amy said...

I have to send a huge love to Mom for putting up with our antics growing up. I am having a slight feeling we may have been just a wee-bit exhausting at times (now that I have a mom's perspective) - but Mom really never let on. Well except for that one time when she got mad at ME when Kari jumped on my lap because she was so excited I was home from the hospital after getting my appendix removed (ouch!). Anyway - Mom is a really good example to me of letting that lovely chaos of children flow! Love you Mom!

Karen said...

OK...so ONE time I jumped on your incision mere moments after major surgery. I was excited. But that was like, 30 years ago. Let it go sister! For the love of Pete - Let it go!

Amy said...

Seriously Laughing Out Loud!!!:)