Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Missed fortune!



As a reward
for doing well at the dentist,
I took Seth and Lulu to
Panda Express.

We love Panda Express!
Orange Chicken...Ooooh!
Sweet and Sour Pork...Yum!
Mandarin Chicken...Aaaah!

Yeah!  Yeah!
The food is good,
but what really makes the Panda experience
so desirable are their  
FORTUNE COOKIES!

It's true!

What is it with me and fortune cookies? 
I love them!
I secretly
(well not so secretly anymore)
yearn for them to be a direct link to my future.
They are,
in my opinion,
a perfect combination of
junk food and fantasy!
I ask,
is there anything better than
a little hope wrapped in sugar?

No, there is not!

Maybe I love them so much because
they are always positive!
Think about it.
Have you ever opened a negative fortune cookie?
Could you imagine?
Cracking open your cookie
and finding...

"YES CHUBS! 
THOSE JEANS MAKE YOU LOOK FAT!"
or
"BRACE YOURSELF BUDDY! 
YOU'RE ABOUT TO LOOSE IT ALL!"
or
"YOU'RE UGLY AND YOUR FEET SMELL!"

It would be devastating!


Fortune cookies are meant to be
HOPEFUL and HAPPY
and
ALWAYS COME TRUE!
that's my philosophy anyway.



So, when fortune cookie
time came with Seth and Lulu,
I followed proper fortune protocol
and let each of them choose their own cookie.


Heaven forbid
that someone else
choose your cookie for you.
I am a firm believer
that the cosmos will lead you
to the proper cookie!
Just like how you are led to the right spouse or career...
I believe that you too are led to the right cookie!
You must choose your own!


Lulu chose first.
She cracked it open
and fished out the paper heart.
I read it to her.


"YOU CREATE ENTHUSIASM
WHEREVER YOU GO!"


Oh, hello! 
Could that be more accurate, or what?
Come on...
Lulu TOTALLY creates enthusiasm
 wherever she goes.
Either 
people are super enthusiastic to see her come
or
people are super enthusiastic to see her go!
That one was definitely meant for her.


We high-fived!


Then it was Seth's turn.
With only 2 cookies to choose from
 he did not hesitate
 and went straight for the one on the right.


He snapped open the shell and pulled out the paper.
After studying it for a few seconds,
he handed it to me.
(I think he suddenly remembered
that he could only read
 in Spanish!)


With his eyes fixed on me
I read him his fortune...


"SUCCESS AND WEALTH
ARE IN YOUR FUTURE"


Oooh Sethie!
What could that possibly mean?
I was so excited for him.
SUCCESS and WEALTH?
He got a 2FER
(2 fortunes in one cookie!)
That was amazing!
but
He could've cared less.


Finally, it was my turn.
Oh, what would it be?
Success?  Money?  Fame?
I swear, 
half of the excitement is in the wondering!


With anticipation mounting,
I slide the cookie out of the plastic wrapper
and broke it open
 only to find
that


it was empty!


That's right, you heard me!
My fortune cookie was empty.
E-M-P-T-Y!
No fortune...just cookie!


WHAT?!?
Words cannot express
my utter disappointment.

That had never happened to me before in my life.

So as I sat there
fortune-less and hopeless
in the Panda Express,
 I took matters into my own hands
and combined my kids fortunes to make
one for me.

it went like this...

YOU CREATE ENTHUSIASM
WHEREEVER YOU GO
because
SUCCESS AND WEALTH ARE IN YOUR FUTURE!

See...problem solved.
No fortune cookie
 can keep me down!!!
but hopefully I will have
BETTER LUCK
 next time!

1 comment:

Miss Gabe said...

or.....it means that your fortunes will be never-ending!!! It was far to big of a fortune to even fit in that wee delicious cookie and will maybe be delivered in the form of a parcel dropped from the heavens by a rare Asian dove (if there isn't such a dove, there will be!)

THERE! G.Womble's fortune conclusion is given and so it shall be done.